Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Milk Allergy

Jonny has a soy and cows milk allergy-

I was just thinking recently, as he is almost 8 months old, what I will be feeding him when he turns one. I cant wait to get him off this 30 dollars a can formula! Its killer! Lets hope the next baby doesn't also have a milk allergy! I believe its a protein allergy- which means it is most likely casein? Its funny because my husband takes huge scoops of casein daily! with milk! Wondering how im gonna cook for this boy, should his allergy continue- and with the potential of not being near a whole foods store which will limit options.. It should be interesting :(

Posts from other moms to remember:

My son is 17 months and has a milk allergy. Check out Whole Foods or another health food/organic store. You'll be amazed what they can eat. My son drinks hemp milk as his milk replacement; it has almost as much fat as whole milk, which is important for toddlers. He loves it. He also eats vegan cheese, and has recently tried two kinds of vegan yogurt (one made from soy milk, one made from coconut milk). All of these items are typically fortified with calcium and vitamins, like milk. When I'm cooking for the family, I usually replace butter with oil and milk with rice milk with positive results. You also have to read labels carefully. For example, some bread has milk in it, some doesn't. If you google milk allergy, you can find lists of ingredients to avoid. It's a little bit expensive, but there are definitely plenty of things your little one can eat!


Do you mean what to feed her at mealtimes? I have a dairy allergy so even now when I feed my toddlers I have to remind myself to let them eat cheese, etc! One side-effect of having a dairy allergy in the family is that you learn to make most of your food from scratch, because packaged things often have butter, milk, etc.
Here are some go-to meals that are super easy to make that don't have dairy (for me) and are
toddler-friendly (for them):
*french toast (I just use plain egg on Stroehman's 100% whole wheat bread, and the girls dip the strips in unsweetened applesauce -- they LOVE this)
*spaghetti with a bit of tofu mashed in it instead of cheese for protein and calcium
*plain bean burritos (my girls like to dip pieces of plain tortillas or quesadillas in refried beans)
*pita and hummus (some toddlers like hummus, mine don't)
*oatmeal with bananas and chopped raisins for breakfast (can be made with just water, or soy milk)
*couscous with chopped tofu (I get whole wheat couscous from Trader Joe's without the spice pack included. I use two cups of water for one cup of couscous, which is double the water according to the directions because I add about a cup and a half of chopped veggies. I add a little less than a teaspoon each of fresh basil, garlic, blackstrap molasses, a pinch of salt, and a tablespoon of olive oil for flavor. This is an awesome meal, because if you chop just about any veggies small enough -- carrots, broccoli, peas, zuchini, etc. -- and throw them in the pot while the water is getting hot, and also add chopped raisins -- very important!, my kids and my friends' kids seem to eat it no problem. If it turns out flavorless the first time, try adding a little bit more salt, olive oil, or even try adding a bit of apple juice. Add a bit of cheese or pine nuts on your own portion to make it even yummier. Use a food processor to make the veggies faster to prepare. Couscous itself only takes 5 minutes to cook after the water is boiling.
*prepared fish or chicken strips and baked potatoes or sweet potatoes and/or other roasted veggies -- acorn squash and beets are some of my girls' favorites. My one-year old likes the halibut strips you can find at Trader Joe's.
*plain canned black beans, boiled eggs, and sunflower seed butter are good sources of non-dairy protein for a 1 year old. Some of my friends swear by smoothies, which can be made with tofu or soy milk.
*when you are baking, almost any kind of bread, cookie, or muffin can be made with water or soymilk instead of milk, and oil or shortening instead of butter
*look for orange juice, apple juice or soy products enriched with vitamin D. Also, use plenty of dry cereals like Kix or Cheerios to get in lots of calcium and vitamin D. Most soy products have a lot of calcium. Green veggies are good sources of calcium too. So are almonds -- you could try almond butter in sandwiches.



I have a 13-month old son and we have been advised to keep him on his formula till he's 18 months.  My son has a very basic diet, due to his food allergies.  I know soy is constipating, but I find my LO does fine with it as long as he eats enough fruits and vegetables (might not be the case for you LO though).  My son typically eats blueberries, raspberries, mangos, pears, Tofutti soy cheese, Silk soy yogurt, organic waffles, CherryBrook Kitchen pancakes, rice, carrots, and squash.

No comments:

Post a Comment